WRX Mods and Warranty

I've been told that there is a chip that will go on the (2003) WRX that will boost its power without violating its warranty. Is this true?

I've been looking at the Vishnu systems but wondering if I will have to wait until my warranty period is over before I start doing any serious messing around.

Is there any way I get get a few extra HP without causing warranty problems?

Thanks...

Reply to
Chauncey Gardener

Generally speaking, if anything directly associated with or impacted by a modified/non-oem part fails, Subaru can deny your warranty - so altering engine management is a sure-fire way to get yourself in trouble as far as that goes.

In practice, it really depends on the dealership itself, and their tolerance to mods.

Reasonably "safe" mods are things like silicone intercooler hoses, aftermarket mufflers, etc. (basically, things which really don't get you much power) - things like an aftermareket up-pipe or downpipe will net more improvements, but may cause problems warranty-wise... it really depends - the best thing to do is ask the service department where you would have your car worked on what they think.

Reply to
David & Caroline

Hi, Just to be on the safe side, serious mod should be done after warranty expires. Tony

David & Carol> Generally speaking, if anything directly associated with or impacted by a

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cobb Tuning can reflash your cars computer for more horsepower and the dealership shouldn't be able to detect it. But if they did, I would guess they would not honor your warranty.

Jerry and Bea

If you are worried about a reflash and warranty, get an used ECU and have a company reflash it. Install the old if you have an engine warranty issue. You have to buy the year(trans type ?) for your car.

03 car - 03 ECU.
Reply to
Scooby Rex

There is a word for this. It is called fraud. If you install a non-approved chip and blow your engine, why should Subaru pay for it?

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

It's not fraud if the mod didn't cause the fault

The dealer where i USED to get my suby serviced was telling me that he was going to refuse a warranty claim on a customers gearbox because he had a new muffler put in!! Not a full exhaust, but a rear muffler. He went on to say that it changes the back-pressure of the whole system, so it produced too much power and blew the transmission!!!

I don't know too much about cars, but it seems like rubbish to me. I do know that i'm not servicing with him anymore.

Reply to
PeterD

...and just how do you prove that? If you modify the power system of a car with non-factory-approved parts - and that includes the exhaust and intake systems - then you are bound to invalidate your mechanical warranty. Either don't modify; fit factory-approved modifications; or live with it. Simple choice. No excuse here for trying to con people. (And don't blame the dealers - manufacturers set the terms of the warranty *and* pay for the warranty work to be carried out. If you don't think your dealer is acting properly on a warranty claim, go over his head.)

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Are you in the Detroit, Michigan area? That sounds exactly like the dealership where I bought mine! Haven't done any mods yet, but if (once) I do, I'll probably be going to another dealership across town, where they're more performance minded, and much better about their interpretation of the warranty rules.

Ric

PeterD wrote:

--

Remove the zz from my email address to reply, or it ain't gonna work.

Ric W

No, i'm in Sydney Australia

Reply to
PeterD

I understand that, and it makes perfect sense.

But I was talking about a refusal to honor warranty because the guy changed his muffler. No-one is trying to con anyone here, it's pretty obvious the muffler was changed. Are you suggesting that this mod will dramatically increase the power output, enough to ruin a transmission?

It's not my problem, it wasn't my car. But that comment (and the way it was said) has me looking elsewhere to service my suby.

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm thinking the safe thing to do is call the dealership and ask them about what effect a retuned ECU would have on the warranty. I had heard- from a former Subaru salesman- that there was one available that would not void the warranty.

I would also assume that people like Cobb Tuning who are doing these things have reason to think they are safe for the vehicle; it might make sense to talk to them, too.

Has anyone heard of someone having trouble with any of the more common modifications? Any reason to believe that a retuned ECU could cause serious problems?

Thanks again...

Reply to
Chauncey Gardener

Reply to