WRX Wagon Strut Disassembly/Reassembly

I'm about to change out the blown rear struts on my '02 WRX Wagon (replacing with OEM). Looking at the service manual, it calls for the use of a special tool to hold the piston rod from turning as the strut top nut is removed/replaced. My question is: Is this tool necessary, or can it be done with standard hand tools?

TIA

Reply to
Ned Pike

You will need a strut spring compressor for sure; you'll hurt yourself getting them apart, and will never get them back together without one. Inexpensive to rent. As far as the shaft, I _think_ there is a socket for a 5 or 6mm allen wrench at the end of the shaft There was on the STI strut for sure; pop off the plastic cover and take a look at the ones on your car to be sure. What worked for me was to take a 17mm socket (fits the shaft nut) and grind flats at the back so that I could put an adjustable wrench on it. Compress the spring, put the socket on the nut, and reach thru the drive opening with an allen wrench to hold the shaft while you loosen the nut. It wasn't horribly tight; 40-50 ft.lb or so. Be sure to make an indexing mark on the lower perch, rubber isolator, spring, and top perch/isolator so you can easily realign things. Also pay attention to the order of any spacers or whatever that are freed when you lift off the top. What will probably be more of a challenge is the two bolts holding the hub to the strut. The ones on mine were incredibly tight, and one of them didn't have enough room to get a socket/breaker bar on the nut. I used a box end wrench with a length of pipe, and most of my repertoire of blasphemy to get it loose. Everything is pretty self-explanatory from there, and shouldn't pose any problems.

ByeBye! S.