ABS code on 89 F-150

I have had problems with my anti locker light coming on when I take off down the road. I replaced the sensor in the rear end and this did not fix the problem.

I checked the codes according to someone's directions here and I got a code 11.

Can anyone tell me what this code means and how to procede from here?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Don

And somewhere around the time of 02/08/2004 15:16, the world stopped and listened as Don contributed the following to humanity:

Accoring to the book, your truck have a rear anti-lock braking system. The system is a Kelsey-Hayes (Lucas Varity) RABS system which was manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes (Now Lucas). The controller is usually mounted in the dash. But the RABS valve assembly is usually located either by the master cylinder or inside the frame rail on the driver side. On my 91-Ranger, it is located inside the frame rail under the driver seat near the fuel filter.

As to what the code 11 is, the book says this:

Brake switch always on, RWAL light comes on when speed exceeds 40MPH. I would change the switch on the brake pedel. The sensor that you replaced is probably still good. Keep it as a spare.

The book I used is a Hayes Tech-Manual for Anti-lock Brake Systems. Picked it up at Kragens for about $20.00.

Interesting thing to note is that most car manufacturers did not develop their own ABS systems, but bought systems from companies that specalized in them.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

What exactly is this switch? The actual one that the brake pedal touches to turn the brake lights on?

Reply to
Don

And somewhere around the time of 02/09/2004 05:27, the world stopped and listened as Don contributed the following to humanity:

I would imagine so, but I don't know. You can try to replace it, but I would talk to the dealer and ask them where the switch is.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy