Car Wont Start after two years.

Hi guys, I had a VW 74 super beetle with a bad starter sitting in the garage for a couple of years, I recently replaced the starter, battery, changed the engine oil, break oil and added some gas to it. I tried to start it but it seems fuel isn't reaching the carburetor , the gas pump was working before the starter broke down a couple of years back, so i don't think it just stopped working, do you guys think it might be one of the fuel line hoses, which ones should I check? The little fuel line filter in the back is all dry with no gas in it, i tested the carburetor by putting a little bit of gas in it and the car DID start , but turned off a couple of seconds after the fuel got eaten by the carburetor .

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

-Chris

Reply to
Camus

Often, the pump needs help getting "primed" after sitting so long.

Pull the hose off the pump inlet and see if gas will flow from the tank. May have to jack the front. If it does, put hose back on.

You can get a longer run time by filling the carb bowl. Easy way is to attach a hose to the brass vent tube (looking down the carb throat). Connect funnel to the hose and pour enough to fill bowl.

You can do the same by taking the top off the carb (5 screws). Careful not to lose tiny parts.

Run till bowl empties and see if anything appears in the filter.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I agree, a dry pump won't pump much, it can't create enough vacuum to pull fuel from the tank. Add to that possible varnish buildup and it'll take some time for the pump to start working again.

Pull the fuel hose off the carburator, and pour fuel into the hose so it would run down into the pump. Let it sit a while and then hook the hose back up to the carb top, squirt a little fuel into the carb throat and as described by Jim, fill the fuel bowl on the carb too. Then start the engine and hopefully the primed pump and higher revs will start the flow. Open the fuel tank cap too so the tank gets unobstructed replacement air as the pump tries to pull fuel out of it.

On the filter.. if you have a filter between the pump and the carburator, take it out and replace with a plain hose. Never put a filter on the pressure side of the pump, as they have a tendency to pull the hoses off as they flop around, and cause engine fires. You can put a filter on the suction side of the pump. I think Supers didn't have a filter inside the tank like standards do. All of them should have a filter screen inside the fuel pump though.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

AND you could run a hose from a gas can to the inlet side of the fuel pump! I do that to start up my '70 Bug after sitting since 1991. ;-) A great test for the pump and carb too! Your fuel line from the gas tank might be clogged or that strainer inside of the gas tank might be clogged. BTW I never cared for that strainer!

With a little air you could test for clogs by blowing into the feed hose at the FP going back to the tank, or at the tank forcing fuel out LOW PRESSURE ONLY PLEASE!!!

I vote clog or bad fuel pump!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Or as usual try the simple approach.

Remove airfilter, have a friend crank the car at W.o.t. whilst you cover the carb opening with the palm of your hand. This repeated several times for the duration of 5 - 10sec to save the starter and battery. You will feel the palm of your hand get wet from fuel, remove hand and let it rev. If it wants to die, cover carb again briefly, repeat etc. until it runs.

If this does not work something is seriously clogged..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I have found old gas left in the tank forms some nasty gunk. and even after getting the car running the gunk re-plugs the outlet in the bottom of the tank, I got into carrying a bicycle pump with a fitting to blow back the line. Carb cleaner loosened even more stuff. Unscrewing the brass fitting in the bowl lets some of the sediment that might have gotten pass the filter. Good Luck !

Reply to
geo.