1960 Mercury Comet Price?

We have a 1960 Mercury Comet. Original Owners. Approx 100K mi, V6, 4 Door, all original. Is in realative condition good & nothing has been replaced/redone except the back seat was just reupholstered. Does anyone know what this car might be worth? Car is located in Sacramento, CA.

Reply to
jsader

Look around in

See if there is a similar car (original,good condition) listed in there. The Wal Stores around here have Hemmings Motor News magazines on the magazine racks.

.......Larry

Reply to
cuhulin

Not intended to be a smartass, but the car is only worth what you can get for it. Some cars have intrinsic values because of their value to collectors. Just being old does not necessarily make it valuable. AFAIK this car has no particular fan following, but I could be wrong.

Put it in Ebay with a reserve price you can live with, if you want to sell it.

Reply to
<HLS

Pick up a copy of Old Car Price Guide magazine at your local 7/11, convenience store, bookstore etc.

Also look at your car with a critical eye...maybe have an unbiased person look at it too. Many owners think their baby is better than it really is....for example ..thinking it's "excellent" when it's really a "good" or even a high "fair". Getting comparison prices from Hemmings can help as a guide...

Also depends on how fast you want to sell it:)

--Don Don Byrer Commercial Pilot / CFI Student Electronics Technician, RADAR/Data/Comm @ CLE Amateur Radio KJ5KB

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "I know what it sounds like....when doves cry" (Bird Strike 8/29/05)

Reply to
Don Byrer

NADA shows it around 5k for average retail and $2750 for low retail.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Steve, How did you find it... I went to Kelly and Nada and found nothing that old.

Reply to
<HLS

nada.com Select Consumer Second tab over is for classic cars

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks. I got it.

Reply to
<HLS

Well, a '60 Comet could, I guess be considered classic, so it may have some intangible worth as a result. One of the above posters suggested trying EBay, good thought. It would at least give you sampling of real-world interest and how much someone might offer.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

It's just another old beater with the V6 replacement engine that was reported in it....

I was looking at a neighbors 66 Mustang the other week and he is asking $15K for it because it 'only' has 40K miles and is 'original'.

If... You don't count the obviously replaced front fenders still missing the labels (he has them in the trunk) and the front half of the engine that is a different color than the rest and all gooped up with RTV indicating some kind of major 'shadetree' engine work or the replacement of the engine with an unknown.

I just laughed at him and wished him lick finding some sucker.

Mike

Mike Romain

A V6...no way is that original in 1960! The early Comets used a couple of inline six engines of modest power and then offered an optional V8 around 1963.

Can't tell without a lot more information about condition.

Reply to
John S.

That V6 is very suspicious, Knifeblade.. When I went to the classic car section of the Nada site, I found they expected this car to have a rather high horsepower V8. V6 might seem to be a transplant. If so, it can negate a lot of originality and collector value.

Not my whip, in any case.

Reply to
<HLS

Heck I'd be interested, even if it weren't original, as long as it was in good shape.

Of course getting it up here to Canada and then putting plates on it would be another matter.

Reply to
Noozer