1987 Olds 98 with transmission chatter

I have an 87 Olds 98 with 130,000 miles. When I am driving in OD up a hill, the transmission will start to chatter. I can usually relieve it by shifting back to Drive. However, it even chatters some in Drive. I changed the transmission fluid about 12,000 miles ago but the fellow simply flushed and did not change the filter. I have tried a couple of the additives but they don't seem to help. Any advice will be appreciated.

Reply to
jplasater

Have the dealer or a good transmission shop look at the transmission and follow their advice if you want to keep the car. If the car has

130,000 miles on it and the first fluid change was at 118,000 miles that is probably the cause of your problems. And the solution will probably be a rebuilt gearbox.
Reply to
John S.

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com writes in article dated Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:10:32 GMT:

It sounds like a situation where the tranny should downshift.

The noise might be related, engine "ping" due to lugging. High-octane gas might reduce it (and doesn't cost much to try).

Unfortunately I don't have any tips for DIY tranny adjustment on anything newer than a Power-Glide.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon