93 tercel

is a tercel a reliable car? I'm thinking of buying another used car for work. (next to my 98 corolla, which I will be passing on to my wife).

if the car doesn't have AC, is it possible to add AC and approximately how much would it cost.

thanks.

Reply to
Raymond

How many miles on it? With the years 91-93 you want to watch the rings. The were made of a softer material and wear out about 130,000 miles or so, and cause the car to smoke pretty badly.

i wouldn't bother with the AC myself. Probably going to cost more than the car!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Some early 90's Tercels had an electronic carburetor that caused some drivability problems and was very difficult to fix, were prone to carbon build-up on the valves, and had valve guide seals that were prone to leaking. Stick to a Tercel model that is fuel-injected for much better reliability.

Yes, it is possible to add AC. Toyota dealers may still be able to get you a kit. Plan on $800 to $1,000 for the kit plus 5 to 8 hours at whatever the local labor rate is to install it. My recommendation is that it is less expensive to find one already equipped with AC than to spend the $1,500 or more to install one.

Reply to
Ray O