1990 Saab 900 Brakes

My brother-in-law just picked up a 1990 Saab 900 which runs well and has fairly low mileage. However, it has some issues with the brakes that he asked me to look at since I'm considerably more car savvy than him (I probably would have passed on this car, low price or not, if he'd asked me.)

It seems that something about the power brake booster has failed. The brakes work, but he's going to develop some pretty strong leg muscles getting the car to stop presently. I'm familiar with late model VW's and Chrysler vechicles (because I own them), and I have to say, I've NEVER seen a brake cylinder set up that looks quite like the one in this Saab. (Even my 1995 Eagle Vision, which has ABS has a fairly conventional looking master cylinder, which connects to the ABS system separately contained.) There were a number of sensors into various points in the master cylinder. What on earth are they for? And is it possible that the failure of one of them is causing the servo to not build pressure for the power brakes the way it should? I don't see any real evidence that this car has ABS, but is it possible that these relate to ABS in some way? Did Saab's come with ABS in 1990? Where should we begin looking?

Reply to
bruce

you should repost in alt.autos.saab they are very knowledgeable

Reply to
why, me!

The first thing to check is the hose between the servo and the intake manifold. Years ago, a friend came to me saying that his brakes weren't working properly and that the local dealer had quoted a ridiculous price for a new servo, and asked me if I would check to see if a new servo was necessary. When I checked the car for him I went straight to the hose and found that the hose had collapsed at the end. I cut off about an inch and the problem was cured. It took me about 5 minutes to do, I didn't charge him, and ended up with more work than I could handle because of his recommendations to his friends.

Reply to
Limey Lurker