Engine Whine Caravan 3.3

I noticed a low frequency whine the last couple of times after exiting the highway. The whine is loudest after exiting the off ramp then slowly dissipates in normal city traffic speeds in about 15 minutes. The whine is RPM dependent. Any ideas?

Reply to
dprkk

Are you sure it's not the power steering pump? The one in my 02 Voyager is pretty noisy...and it only has 58k miles on it. It is most noticeable after coming to a stop after about 2.5 miles from home after running at 55mph on a cold morning. As it warms more it seems to go away. If you are at a stop when you are hearing the noise and turn the wheel just slightly, does the wine sound lounder and more like a groan?

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

It definitely is the power steering pump. Got off the highway the other day and came up to a stop light. The low frequency rpm dependent whine was there. I happened to turn the wheel and the whine changed with every turn of the wheel. I'm glad I know what it is; now is this a sign of the pump going south? The 2006 caravan is pretty tight. It might be a nightmare getting it out. Thanks for your suggestion.

Reply to
dprkk

Try changing the p.s. fluid - especially if it came from the factory with something other than ATF+4 and is now Ok'd for use with ATF+4 (see below). If that is the case, no guarantees, but this would not be the first time I would have read of replacing the fluid and switching to ATF+4 solving a noisy p.s. pump problem.

Check out TSB No. 19-005-03. It tells what fluid came in what years of Chrysler vehicles, and which ones are now recommended for ATF+4 as the service fluid - or if you post what year your Caravan is and what the build date is, I'll tell you what the TSB says about it.

Reply to
Bill Putney

.

Hi Bill,

It is a 2006 Caravan; manufacture date 04-06. I spoke with a friend today who mentioned that there was a problem with the PS resovoir itself. Something about a filter that would get clogged. I don't know if there is any truth to this though.

Ken

Reply to
dprkk

Oh - 2006 - definitely came with ATF+4, which of course is the service fluid for it too. Is he saying that the problem with the reservoir/filter is a common problem with those, or did he look at yours and say that he sees that problem on yours?

Is there any warranty left?

Reply to
Bill Putney

He mentioned that the reservoir/filter was a common problem with his

03 Caravan. I assume that this would have been fixed by 2006. No warranty left. I'll just keep an eye on it and wait till it gets a little worse. Will research how to take it out and put it back successfully.
Reply to
dprkk

Please keep us posted...at least me. :-) I've got an 02 Voyager with the same symptoms. I've been corresponding with Bill off list and he suggested changing the fluid, which I think I'm going to try - unless you find out something more about this filter.

Thanks,

Wesley

He mentioned that the reservoir/filter was a common problem with his

03 Caravan. I assume that this would have been fixed by 2006. No warranty left. I'll just keep an eye on it and wait till it gets a little worse. Will research how to take it out and put it back successfully.
Reply to
Wesley

I've got R and R instructions for the pump but its for a 2004 with 3.8 so I'm not sure its the same..........

Reply to
Rob