1998 Plymouth Voyager mini-van

Sorry if this is a duplicate post - I couldn't find anything like it in the archives.
I have a Voyager van with about 175,000 kilometres on it (about 125K
miles ??).
I live in the snow belt. In the morning and sporadically the transmission will act up. It will go into reverse or drive and work fine for a bit. At the first stop - about a block - the transmission feels as it goes into neutral. Press the gas and the engine races. After a minute the transmission will engage and the van is fine for the rest of the day. It is not slipping - it is just like it is in neutral.
Any thoughts before I go the the shop and they suggest a $2000 rebuild unit??
Thanks Scotty

Your calculator is broken. That's less than 110,000 miles.
--
Tegger

Plymouth Cars were named for a certain brand name of twine. cuhulin

I just guessed, sorry.
As for the twine thing - huh???
I should mention that fluid was first thing checked - sorry not to note it. It has been recently changed - but not the filter. I guess I can do that but didn't want to if the thought if the whole transmission has gone south.
Thanks Scotty

I had the thing thing happen this past fall and my brother had me change the filter [ thought he was nuts ] since it was like 2000 miles since last done. well I have 15000 miles since and no problems
what engine do you have ? if you have the 3.0 then check the kickdown lever on the trans and makes sure it moves freely and moves with the throttle movement if not lube the linkage at the trans if it is a 3.3 or 3.8 then have it checked for codes after you check trans fluid level