1998 Plymouth Voyager transmission

Sorry if this is a duplicate post - I couldn't find in archives.
I have a Voyager van with about 175,000 kilometres on it (about 125K
miles ??).
I live in the snow belt. In the morning and sporadically the transmission will act up. It will go into reverse or drive and work fine for a bit. At the first stop - about a block - the transmission feels as it goes into neutral. Press the gas and the engine races. After a minute the transmission will engage and the van is fine for the rest of the day. It is not slipping - it is just like it is in neutral.
Any thoughts before I go the the shop and they suggest a $2000 rebuild unit??
Thanks Scotty

Check the fluid level, it could be low on fluid. It could also be caused by a dirty trans filter, when was the fluid and filter last serviced. If you have an electronicaly controlled trans you might want to have it scanned for codes.

Thanks Mike:
Fluid was first thing checked - sorry not to note it. It has been recently changed - but not the filter. I guess I can do that but didn't want to if the thought if the whole transmission has gone south.
Thanks Scotty