1999 Maxima Shakes - is dealer's diagnosis correct ?

My Maxima 1999 started the following behavior about six months back...

- initially, "service engine" light came on. I took the car to a local mechanic and the code apparently said "primary ignition failure". Since obviously my car was starting fine, he just reset the light and said everything was ok.

- after a couple of weeks, sometimes all the lights would come on: "service engine", "traction control off" and "slip" and the car starts to shake.

- I took the car to Nissan dealer. They say that my ignition coil is coming apart and needs to be replaced. They reset the "service engine" light, but it came back again after a couple of days.

- Currently, "service engine" light is ON all the time and the car shakes when all the other lights come on (happens couple of times a week). I noted that it has nothing to do with warm engine/cold engine, but it always happens from the time of start (that is, the shaking does not start when I am driving, but from the time I start the car).

I find the dealer diagnosis incredible - is the technology so advanced that they can sense a falling apart ignition coil ?

Any insights on what the problem might be, I would like some help before spending $$$$ on the ignition coil.

Thanks Regards

- Sam

Reply to
sknk

Should not the dealer or competent independent mechanic be able to test this and confirm the diagnosis?

Your suggestion sounds like you know what you are talking about, but sometimes dealers and unscrupulous independent mechanics diagnose by guess and replacement.

Reply to
HLS

Don't worry, Nirav is obviously quite confident about his diagnoses and you should therefore not think twice about spending your hard-earned money in replacing all the coils. His directive to have the dealer do the job is also spot-on as this is a very delicate operation that should only be attempted by an official Nissan-certified master mechanic.

. . . NOT ! ! !

njmodi wrote:

Reply to
feynmanfan88

Wow! Thanks for the very informative link. It seems quite plausible that the ubiquitous coil failures would have some mechanical cause other than something to do with the coil winding/insulation. When mine go, and from what I have been reading it is only a matter of time, I'll give the Maxima.org method a shot.

David Geesaman wrote:

Replace

Reply to
feynmanfan88

I know, it's incredible somebody at the .org would investigate something, <gasp> practical. I mean, the coils are are far from the muffler and tail lights I'm surprised half the people there have even heard of them.

</rant>

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman