2.5 ton jack and a 6,900 lb truck

I know that a 2.5 ton jack does not actually equal 6900 lbs, but since it's raising only one end, I'm wondering if it is safe to use it for a vehicle this size.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Michael

A 2.5T floor jack lifts my neighbor's giant 4wd Suburban front end. It's difficult but does work. No jack is safe. I don't trust any of them.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Is it a real 2.5 tons or is it 2.5 "harbor freight" tons? Are you lifting the front or the back? The front is likely heavier.

That's a little scary, but okay.

Absolutely. When using the jack, keep a constant eye on what would happen if the jack failed and don't be underneath anything or have anything important there. Make sure that when the jack fails the end result will not be severe damage. Always use jack stands. Use real jack stands, not harbor freight jack stands. Keep hands out until jack stands are in place.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

This is especially important when replacing motor mounts :-(

When possible I just lowered the appropriate pair of wheels onto ramps. The damn things slipped when I tried to actually drive onto them.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Thanks for the info, Paul, Scott, and Bev! I do have jack stands. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to destroy the jack.

Mike

Reply to
Michael