2000 Bravada ABS light

Short story, I've been driving for almost 50 years and I've never needed or appreciated ABS. My ABS started acting up a couple of years ago, probably due to one or more bad wheel sensors, (a known issue on these cars). I pulled the fuse, the ABS light came on and there were no more intermittent low speed ABS activations. That was four years ago. The brakes are otherwise in good condition on this car and an ABS light was never a problem for passing state inspection in the past, however now they're starting to take a more strict position on this. The inspector's boss told me that I can pull the bulb. He just can't see this light on. I don't want to disassemble the dash board to remove a lamp so if I could just see a schematic diagram of the ABS circuit I could do this. Even if the lamp needs to be in the circuit to satisfy the computer, if I can find the right wires I can determine the current draw of the lamp and substitute the appropriate resistor in its place. Does anyone have this information they would be willing to share or could they perhaps tell me where I might find it? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Try to find a autoparts store that has a ABS scanner, find the code, and fix it.

Or, you said the light came on AFTER you pulled the ABS fuse. Why not just put the fuse back in for the check?

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Because with the fuse in, the car will sometimes activate the ABS spontaneously at low speeds, (like when the inspector drives in into the garage next time to make sure I fixed the problem). That will fail me for sure. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

The problem your having is usually due to a bad controller solenoid on the ABS box. The rusted/failed sensors will turn on the light and turn OFF the system.

You should be able to pull the power connector off the ABS unit under the hood and turn off the light and ABS. I did this on my 97 when the controller started failing. Then found a reman unit and installed it. Look for the connection that has two larger wires in it. One is power and one is ground. The other connections will have wires that are all the same size from the sensors. Install the fuse than pull the connector, the light should go out and the ABS will be shut off as well.

Reply to
Steve W.