2000 MPV

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV with less then 85000 miles. I'm not an engine person so I'll try to explain this to make since. On Friday I noticed that my MPV was starting to get hot. I first turned off the A/C and noticed the temp gage move back to the normal setting. I continued on to my destination which was just a couple of miles away and turned off the car. I got out of the car and looked it over but didn't see any real problem. No smell, no smoke nothing. I finished what I was doing came back started the car and headed home. I was about two miles from home and again noticed the temp gage move up towards H, then it would move back to normal, then move up towards H. When it got to close to the H I pulled over, stopped the engine and popped the hood. Again no smell, no smoke nothing, I could even put my hand on the engine, it wasn't even hot. I waited awhile then finally got the car home. Saturday I had the car towed to the Mazda dealership where I bought it

7 years ago and this is what they told me and I just find this so hard to believe.
  1. The radiator needs to be replaced. (OK I can believe this)
  2. I need a new engine? (This I just don't understand) They ran a compression test and my engine failed. Apparently the engine got sooooo hot that it warped one of the heads????? Can some one help me with this? How can an engine get that hot if I'm putting my hand on it. Also I never had a check engine light come on during this whole time.
Reply to
tmarcus