timing off!!!

i just purchased a 1991 buick skylark 3.3 . i have pulled all necessary maintenance on the car such as a full tune up and cant seem to get the car in time correctly. i have replaced the coil packs but not the ignition module. car when idoling sounds pretty good but when put in drive it boggles down and sounds really bad and it is missing really bad. also when going down the road and i barely speed up the car sputters and sounds like it is tring to die. when i give it more gas it solves the problem but i have to give it all the gas... can u help me?

Reply to
chada

And what leads you to believe the problem is timing?

Don

Don

Well, is the valve timing good? Check the marks and make sure they all line up.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A dirty air filter or a dirty fuel filter will give your symptoms.

Mike

Mike Romain

One time I bought a used 1962 Ford Falcon car,6 cylinder engine,manual shift transmission.I was driving the car one night and it stopped running.I checked around under the hood.The air filter was all clogged up.I removed the air filter and the car ran great.Next day,I bought a new air filter.It takes three things for a car to run,air,fuel,and ignition.Engines are really glorified air pumps. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The coils packs and ignmod have nothing to do with timing. The timing cannot be set on that car/engine. So, if the timing is off then the vibe dampener has rotated.

Reply to
« Paul »

I am wondering if the car was screwing up, causing him to do the maintenance (which did not fix it), OR if after doing maintenance, it started running poorly???

$50 worth of diagnosis is worth $500 worth of parts thrown at a problem.

Reply to
<HLS