91 Caravan ABS problem

Hi- Me neighbor asked me to help figure out his 91 Caravan brake problem. He has ABS - every once in a while (has happened 3 times so far), the Brake light will go on, and he has almost no pedal - very low, can't stop well if moving over about 25 mph. He parks it, couple of hours later it's fine. I haven't had a chance to test/look at it yet - any tips where I should start? The van has just over 200k miles on it. Thanks - Brian

Reply to
Brian Morgan

Have you tried bleeding the brakes or checking to see that there is enough fluid in the reservoir?

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Reply to
Brian Morgan

What kind of abs system? Is it the type that has the accumulator bulb and pump in place of the master cylinder?

If so, the problem may be with the abs pump assembly. Perhaps a check valve isn't keeping the pressure up in the system. Perhaps the pump is just worn out.

This pump must operate and keep pressure up in the accumulator for the brakes to work.

I have read about this style abs pump having a lifetime warranty. Your friend should check into that... and NOT drive that vehicle.

If the abs system is of the type that has a regular master cylinder, then perhaps it's going bad...

Reply to
Clem

Reply to
jeff