2002 Chevy one ton 3500 5.1L express van starting problem

I'm selling this van for parts value as the frame is bad. It has been sitti
ng for a long time and does not get started very much. For the past few mon
ths after not being started for awhile (intervals) it will crank fine but
it will not start. To get it started I have to pull the tubular air cleaner
and spray starting fluid into the hole. Depending on how long the van has
sat seems to determine how much spraying is necessary to get it going. Onc
e it starts it's fine. If you shut it off and start it right back up it sta
rts fine but if it sits more than a day the above procedure has to be repea
ted. I;m not going to put alot of time or effort into this thing as I would
just like to see it gone but I was wondering what could be going on here?
Thanks, Lenny
Reply to
captainvideo462009
Sounds like the fuel rail isn't holding pressure. Could be a stuck injector, bad pressure regulator or bad check valve in the pump. If it's that rusted it could also be a pinhole in the fuel line bleeding off the pressure.
Reply to
Steve W.
On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 9:47:45 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:
ting for a long time and does not get started very much. For the past few m onths after not being started for awhile (intervals) it will crank fine bu t it will not start. To get it started I have to pull the tubular air clean er and spray starting fluid into the hole. Depending on how long the van ha s sat seems to determine how much spraying is necessary to get it going. O nce it starts it's fine. If you shut it off and start it right back up it s tarts fine but if it sits more than a day the above procedure has to be rep eated. I;m not going to put alot of time or effort into this thing as I wou ld just like to see it gone but I was wondering what could be going on here ? Thanks, Lenny
I had a feeling it was something like that. Diagnosing that will be a job for the next lucky guy who gets this cream puff. Thanks Steve Lenny
Reply to
captainvideo462009

Site Timeline Threads