2003-04 IMPALA Owners:

Problem: Want to change cabin air filter in my 2003 sedan, but the pass-side covering is held down at the ends by fasteners that appear to be from Mars(or the Stealth bomber!). There is a flat round fastener in the middle with a flathead provision, but damn those end thingies.

Question: What the f#^@ do I use to get the damn things off?? Otherwise, this looks like something even my pet can handle.

thanks,

ChrisCoaster "See the USA in your fresh-air Chevrolet!"

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Can you post a link to a picture?

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Those seem to be the same kind of plastic push-in fasteners often used for interior trim. There's a special tool to remove those that's basically a fork-shaped piece of metal that you shove underneath and pry up with, but you could probably improvise with two screwdrivers or something. Basically you just need to yank them out - if they get too mangled you might need to replace them.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (ChrisCoaster) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Removal procedure

Position the windshield wipers in the UP position, by keying the ignition OFF when the wiper reach the desired position. Raise the hood. Position aside the rear hood seal halfway to the center. Remove the right recirculation grill. Remove the passenger compartment air filter.

Installation procedure

Install the passenger compartment air filter. Install the recirculation grill. Install the rear hood seal. Close the hood. Return the windshield wipers to the PARK position

Reply to
Death

______________ Thanks, all! I figgered it out this morning. Fasteners were so weatherworn and fulla gunk. Not to mention the filter was NUKED!!! I mean there must a been a whole freakin' forest in there. We're talking a 24,000 mile fleet purchase here, probably origninal CAF should've been yanked at spec. 15,000.

regards,

ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster