2nd copy of car keys and fob?

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but is a better value.

I drove mostly GM cars for years. Every one turned into a POS. After GM suggested I buy a new car rather than have them fix it under warranty, I've not touched another one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Laughing again.

Reply to
micky

I like having the remote. Before it came with the car, I installed burglar alarms where the fob controlled the door locks.

What I would like is a front door lock that is controlled by a fob also, like the car, and if at all possible doesn't use batteries for the door lock itself.

I looked all over 4 years ago and coldnt' find anything.

In the soon to be sold Toyota, both fobs broke at once, which made me think it was the receiver. about $300, so I bought one and then another from ebay. Neither did fixed it.

I'll bet!

Reply to
micky

I dropped my hearing aid down into the "black hole" under the center of the 60/40 seet in my Ranger. Didn't realise I had lost it untill much later - so where did I lose it? I had stripped the shed roof, loaded all the scrop on the trailer, and taken it to the dump. Good thing IO had (unsuccsessfully) paired them to my Blackberry cell phone (only actually works with an i-phone) - I narrowed it down by where I could catch a signal - I drove the truck 2 blocks to verify it was in the truck, then started digging and tearing thinga apart.

Reply to
clare

I tried to tell you where it was but you didn't seem to listen to me!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No lexus is built on a corolla chassis, and in fact no lexus sold in North Anerica is built on the same chassis as any Toyota sold in North America (ublike Honda and Acyra)

Reply to
clare

I'll bet the Muffler looked a lot different afterwards too!!! We has a 1969 GMC pickup with a 292 inline 6 - had a "cherry bomb" muffler on it as a replacement for the original after ONE good backfire. One day comming down a good long grade with a big Cockschutt 1955 tractor on the tri-axle towards a narrow bridge where some guys were working, I shut off rhew ignition for a second, then back on - never seen guys clear a bridge so quickly in my life.

Reply to
clare

Lexus ES350, Toyota Avalon. Same engine, same chassis, same transmission, same suspension, same body sheet metal.

In the top Avalon trim line, the only real difference is the "L" on the Lexie's trunk and grill vs. the Toyota scarab.

Oh, and the Lexie steering wheel does have power tilt/retract and swings out of the way a little when you shut off the engine. An extra year's warranty too.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

OK - so they are selling the decontented Lexus as the Avalon now instead of rhe strretched upgraded Camry - Was not aware of that, as they sell SO few Avalons.

Reply to
clare

Surprising that they don't sell more. The Avalon is a very nice car at a decent price.

I guess Lexus owners have no problem forking over all that extra dough for the "prestige" of driving a "carjack me/follow me home for a home invasion" bait-mobile. They probably also like the rub-up they got from the faux-snooty Lexus sales droids in the showroom;-)

Bring a heavy wallet for Lexus post-warranty repairs or service...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The '13 Corolla dashboard is badly done. It's like they turned that job over to the new grad who had never heard about ergonomics or the concept of user-friendliness. I'm average size, but I'd like the seat 2" higher than its max, and putting a pillow there moves the lumbar "support" bump to the wrong place.

If I didn't need a practical car, I'd get a Honda S2000. Best car I've ever driven for 20 miles down a twisty mountain road. The Lexus on the same road was very nice, but not that nice.

Mom had hers serviced (farm usage) quarterly by the dealer. I looked at some of the bills -- if that much work needed to be done on a new car the manufacturer should have every single car produced recalled. They also offered her a ridiculous amount (possibly because they knew the quality of the service/repair given) as a trade-in, so she just gave them to me. The 78 blew a rod out the pan at under 100K miles. The 88 (which I junked last year) developed pathological non-repairable throttle problems and tried to kill me several times.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Friend lives behind a gate overlooking the ocean. Much envy.

Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent

-- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.

Other friend only drives a BMW because his kid is a BMW mech and the repairs are free.

Reply to
The Real Bev

'Simple tuneup' and 'Italian engine' in the same sentence is an oxymoron waiting to happen. You're probably thinking of the Aston Martin DB5 though. That's the iconic Bond car although others showed up in the movies over the years.

I don't know what the inflation adjusted cost for the '60s DB5's would be but the new models are about $200,000. Pay that for a car and a $1000 oil change is just chump change.

Reply to
rbowman

DB5 has triple carbs which need to be synchronized, which makes a tuneup a bit of an adventure. $1000 seems excessive, but it's a couple hours work to do right. Nearly as bad as an XK-E, but not in the same league as the Lamborghinis. In part because there is actually enough room to work inside the engine compartment of the DB5.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Could be worse -- could be an XK150. Getting the SU's to hum the same tune wasn't all that difficult. The Austin-Healeys had two or three depending.

Reply to
rbowman

For my 2004 Chrysler Sebring, I needed 2 good chip keys to make another one, and I needed one good fob to make another one.

The process of making them would make a good test for old people to see if they can still concentrate. It's always been a real challenge, but this time I got the keys on the 4th or 5th try and the fobs on the 3rd try. I think that's pretty good.

Reply to
micky

It seems that I was confused and you are correct: reprogramming the fob requires only one working key, but reprogramming a chipped key requires two working keys.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

While I think of it, if I were to get and program a spare key and fob, can the fob be linked to the seat and mirror settings on the 300M. ISTR that only two different sets of setting can be programmed in (conforming to only two buttons for seat settings), but can the 3rd fob be set as a duplicate to one of the other two?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

That would be nice, buit it's beyond the knowledge of this Sebring guy.

Reply to
micky

Having now tried it with a third fob that I purchased, the answer appears to be "No": the third fob will lock and unlock the doors but cannot be linked to seat, etc., settings.

And I also discovered, after doing the key-dance thing (and doing it several times over before I got it to work) to get the 3rd fob recognized, that it can be done much more easily using the EVIC ("Electronic Vehicle Information System," IIRC).

I have programed the chip in the new key I bought, but the key has not actually been cut so that I can use it to start the car: I have a non-chip key that fits, and I used that with the new key held next to it to program the chip. Some people have reported that they have found it difficult to find someone to cut the new key: the hardware stores often say that they cannot cut "chipped" keys, and the locksmiths often want to charge an arm and a leg for cutting *and programing* a new key. We'll have to see.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy