2nd copy of car keys and fob?

Having now tried it with a third fob that I purchased, the answer appears to be "No": the third fob will lock and unlock the doors but cannot be linked to seat, etc., settings.
And I also discovered, after doing the key-dance thing (and doing it several times over before I got it to work) to get the 3rd fob recognized, that it can be done much more easily using the EVIC ("Electronic Vehicle Information System," IIRC).
I have programed the chip in the new key I bought, but the key has not actually been cut so that I can use it to start the car: I have a non-chip key that fits, and I used that with the new key held next to it to program the chip. Some people have reported that they have found it difficult to find someone to cut the new key: the hardware stores often say that they cannot cut "chipped" keys, and the locksmiths often want to charge an arm and a leg for cutting *and programing* a new key. We'll have to see.
Perce
On 08/04/2017 02:28 PM, I wrote:

I took my new uncut programed, chipped key to the local Lowe's and offered to pay the usual price for cutting a key, but to cut my own instead. The young guy said, "Since you're bringing in your own blank, there'll be no charge." It works just fine.
Perce
On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:

I use a magnetic key holder for the door. Mostly, I hide it so good that people can't find it. There's not much point in sticking a key fob in there.
On 7/22/17 8:48 PM, micky wrote:

My recent model upscale ride has keyless ignition and proximity sensors. With the fob in my pocket, locked front doors open when I grab either handle and the trunk opens when I touch its hidden sensor.
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
On 07/24/2017 06:54 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Having keyless ignition without proximity sensors seems annoyingly useless. You have the key in your hand to open the door, but where do you put it then if not in the handy storage slot? Drop it on the floor? Put it in a nonexistent pocket? On the seat where it can drop down into the memory hole between the seats? In my purse where I have to spend time finding it when I have to lock the car when I leave?
Friend's Lexus has the prox sensors, but you have to push a button on the key to lock it when you leave. The side mirrors obligingly fold down when it's locked so you know that it's locked.
One more useless thing that will probably immobilize the car when Something Goes Wrong.
I do like having a modern key, though. Although I thought it was kind of dumb before I had it, just pushing a button (sometimes exactly the wrong one) to open things is nice.
Speaking of infinity holes... My husband's wallet fell out of his suit pocket and into the memory hole, where we didn't find it for two years. We thought it was stolen out of the house and caused major nuisance.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Incontinence hotline, can you hold?"
On 7/24/2017 12:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

My Genesis can be locked by touching a button on the handle. One touch, all doors lock. You can open the trunk just by standing in back of the car for 3 seconds. I've found that to be very handy at times.
The Lexus doors should lock with the handle too. Maybe that model does not or your friend does not know how to do it.
With all the technology in cars, it is very possible to not know of some features. Or dual function buttons that do different thing in different modes.

On 07/24/2017 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He probably does, he just told me how to do it when I went to his car to get something. He calls my Corolla the cheap Lexus.

The Lexus was a nice car to drive. If my mom had asked my advice I would have told her to get one instead of the POS 88 Caddy which replaced the POS 78 Caddy. Not as much fun to drive as the S2000, though, even if I botched half the shifts.
--
Cheers, Bev
SAVE GAS, FART IN A JAR
On 7/24/2017 2:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but is a better value.

I drove mostly GM cars for years. Every one turned into a POS. After GM suggested I buy a new car rather than have them fix it under warranty, I've not touched another one.

No lexus is built on a corolla chassis, and in fact no lexus sold in North Anerica is built on the same chassis as any Toyota sold in North America (ublike Honda and Acyra)

On 7/24/17 9:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Lexus ES350, Toyota Avalon. Same engine, same chassis, same transmission, same suspension, same body sheet metal.
In the top Avalon trim line, the only real difference is the "L" on the Lexie's trunk and grill vs. the Toyota scarab.
Oh, and the Lexie steering wheel does have power tilt/retract and swings out of the way a little when you shut off the engine. An extra year's warranty too.
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

OK - so they are selling the decontented Lexus as the Avalon now instead of rhe strretched upgraded Camry - Was not aware of that, as they sell SO few Avalons.
On 7/25/17 10:45 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Surprising that they don't sell more. The Avalon is a very nice car at a decent price.
I guess Lexus owners have no problem forking over all that extra dough for the "prestige" of driving a "carjack me/follow me home for a home invasion" bait-mobile. They probably also like the rub-up they got from the faux-snooty Lexus sales droids in the showroom;-)
Bring a heavy wallet for Lexus post-warranty repairs or service...
--
For each gallon of gas purchased in California, you pay 75 cents tax to
the government and eight cents for oil company profits. Those greedy oil
On 07/25/2017 08:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Friend lives behind a gate overlooking the ocean. Much envy.

Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent -- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.
Other friend only drives a BMW because his kid is a BMW mech and the repairs are free.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.
On 07/25/2017 10:17 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

'Simple tuneup' and 'Italian engine' in the same sentence is an oxymoron waiting to happen. You're probably thinking of the Aston Martin DB5 though. That's the iconic Bond car although others showed up in the movies over the years.
I don't know what the inflation adjusted cost for the '60s DB5's would be but the new models are about $200,000. Pay that for a car and a $1000 oil change is just chump change.

DB5 has triple carbs which need to be synchronized, which makes a tuneup a bit of an adventure. $1000 seems excessive, but it's a couple hours work to do right. Nearly as bad as an XK-E, but not in the same league as the Lamborghinis. In part because there is actually enough room to work inside the engine compartment of the DB5. --scott

On 07/25/2017 07:04 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Could be worse -- could be an XK150. Getting the SU's to hum the same tune wasn't all that difficult. The Austin-Healeys had two or three depending.
On 07/24/2017 01:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The '13 Corolla dashboard is badly done. It's like they turned that job over to the new grad who had never heard about ergonomics or the concept of user-friendliness. I'm average size, but I'd like the seat 2" higher than its max, and putting a pillow there moves the lumbar "support" bump to the wrong place.

If I didn't need a practical car, I'd get a Honda S2000. Best car I've ever driven for 20 miles down a twisty mountain road. The Lexus on the same road was very nice, but not that nice.

Mom had hers serviced (farm usage) quarterly by the dealer. I looked at some of the bills -- if that much work needed to be done on a new car the manufacturer should have every single car produced recalled. They also offered her a ridiculous amount (possibly because they knew the quality of the service/repair given) as a trade-in, so she just gave them to me. The 78 blew a rod out the pan at under 100K miles. The 88 (which I junked last year) developed pathological non-repairable throttle problems and tried to kill me several times.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:28:37 -0700, The Real Bev

I like having the remote. Before it came with the car, I installed burglar alarms where the fob controlled the door locks.
What I would like is a front door lock that is controlled by a fob also, like the car, and if at all possible doesn't use batteries for the door lock itself.
I looked all over 4 years ago and coldnt' find anything.
In the soon to be sold Toyota, both fobs broke at once, which made me think it was the receiver. about $300, so I bought one and then another from ebay. Neither did fixed it.

I'll bet!
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:28:37 -0700, The Real Bev

I dropped my hearing aid down into the "black hole" under the center of the 60/40 seet in my Ranger. Didn't realise I had lost it untill much later - so where did I lose it? I had stripped the shed roof, loaded all the scrop on the trailer, and taken it to the dump. Good thing IO had (unsuccsessfully) paired them to my Blackberry cell phone (only actually works with an i-phone) - I narrowed it down by where I could catch a signal - I drove the truck 2 blocks to verify it was in the truck, then started digging and tearing thinga apart.
On 7/24/2017 9:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I tried to tell you where it was but you didn't seem to listen to me!