5 Speed synchronizer question

I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out, could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into

3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.
Reply to
mbjj

sounds like your clutch is not disengaging completely

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension? Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."

A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)

140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable" car like a Metro.
Reply to
Don Bruder

The clutch is cable driven and I adjusted it about to the end of its throw. I have 3 or 4 more threads showing on the adjuster nut and then it will be bottomed out. As for the clutch itself I replaced it about

30,000 miles ago when I swapped out the engine. Unless my son was riding it when he had it for a year or so there isn't that many miles on it. You think it's more of an adjustment than it is a syncro problem?
Reply to
mbjj

Another thought. If it is related to the cable/clutch then why am I only experiencing it in 3rd and 5th gear?

Reply to
mbjj

How much fre eplay does the clutch pedal have currently?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

None. I adjusted it all out. I plan on backing it all off tomorrow to see what that does.

Reply to
mbjj

It was out of adjustment. When I backed the adjuster off to get free play again it all fell into place. Now I have to watch it to see how much the misadjustment over time has shortened the clutch life. My thanks to you and everyone else that responded.

mbjj

Reply to
mbjj