6 sided vs 12 sided sockets/wrenches?

What are your thoughts on this?

The first decent tools I purchased back in 1980 or so was a set of tools from Sears - It was a set of standard sockets and wrenchs and screw drivers and such. EVERYTHING was 12 sided. The 6 sided seems to have caught on more since then. It also seems intuitive that it would be less likely to round off shoulders.

So which do you prefer and why? 6? 12? Both?...

Reply to
foobar

Both are good. I prefer 12 point because you don't have to search for the correct clocking of the socket to fit the bolt/nut, albeit only 59* more that you have to turn the socket to get it to fit, as opposed to 29* of a 12 point socket.

The bolts on the flywheel are 12 point bolts and obviously you have to use

12 point sockets on them.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I use both.

The 6 sided one is much better for power, but it doesn't always line up in tight places. The 12 sided lines up much easier, but as you note will strip off the shoulders easy.

Mike

foobar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You won't find it much on cars, but sometimes around the house - square bolts. Good luck with your 6 point socket on that.

Ever seen a 12pt impact socket?

I've got a good collection of both - there are times when a 12pt fits better and there are times when you need the extra grip of a 6pt.

3 drive sizes, 2 measuring systems, deep/shallow, 6/12/impact = 48 sockets of each size. Which means you could easily have 2000 sockets. (2 of each combo.) I only wish... I have only about 150... but I'm only a shadetree mech. I wonder who has the most sockets? :)
Reply to
Ray

12 strips much more, to me it's not worth the extra ease of installation on the bolt...I prefer the 6, especially in stubborn bolts, but ironically the socket manufacturers (craftsman in particular) make 6-sided sockets with much weaker 1/4" drive sockets instead of 3/8". The weaker drives tend to rip apart much more easily, especially with stubborn bolts. So the 6-sided can grip much easier, but in the end you risk ripping apart the ratchet drive socket.

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

Use the tools for what they are made for. I use a 12-point socket for the one (and only one) bolt on my Bronco that requires a 12-point socket (it's on the driveshaft). I use 6-point for everything else. -PapaRick

dstvns wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

They are two different tools. Six point for high torque or unobstructed swing..

12 for low torque where swing is limited.
Reply to
TOLYN9