700 R4 Failure - Any ideas?

I have a 91 Asto and last night just after exiting the interstate the tranny just quit working. I had no forward gears and no reverse, the engine just rev'd up when I push the accelerator. The fluid appears okay and there was no warning symptom, it just quit. Does anyone have a possible starting point?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony

Tony,

A total failure like that usually suggests a hard part failure such as a torque convertor taking a dump or input shaft spline stripping out. Prepare to have the trans removed in any event.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Just when you'd convinced yourself that the 700R4 was nothing but a bad, bad dream.... :-)

Actually, I thought my '91 they were reasonably well worked out. But I do seem to remember that one of the last issues that may never have really been solved was pump failures. That would certainly cause an "it just quit" symptom.

Reply to
Steve