83 Blazer gearbox install

I have a 1983 Chevy fullsize K5 Blazer. My gearbox was leaking, and I decided to just replace the entire thing instead of trying to fix some seals. It's 21 years old after all. Anyway, I got it installed, but then my steering wheel was upside down when the tires are headed forward. Not a big deal, since I can fix this by adjusting the draglink. Problem is, when I get the steering wheel aligned by adjusting the draglink, I'm no longer able to turn stop to stop before the gearbox runs out. There isn't enough adjustability in the draglink to find two settings with the steering wheel correct.

I'm pretty much stumped, because the steering shaft is keyed at the gearbox, it's not like there are multiple ways it can connect. The same thing is true for the pitman arm connection at the gearbox; there's only one way it can go. So how could I have gone wrong? I hope the box itself isn't faulty. It's an Autozone (IG or something? brand) lifetime warranty, but the install is a bear and I really, REALLY don't want to do it again.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Charles

I think you will need to undo the drag link and restart the threads more even inside the collar.

It sounds like one end is started in too deep before the other end starts.

Just a guess....

Mike

Charles wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Turns out the connection at the ragjoint was out by 180 degrees. I thought it was keyed because it has two different sized bolts, but it wasn't. The fix is to separate it where the shaft connectes to the gearbox and rotate the wheel 180. I cut off one of the safety prongs to do this without having to take the box down again.

Reply to
Charles