2000 Ford Explorer Steering Problem

I've read several posts about loose steering problems similar to the one I'm having. I've had my Explorer to the Santa Monica Ford dealer 4 times with no success (I work in Santa Monica).

There's a knocking in the steering column on stop/go and the steering wanders at highway speeds and is definitely worse when hitting a bump or trying to stop suddenly. More than 3 times I've almost lost control of the car trying to stop or take a curve in the rain because the front wheels (and the steering wheel) turn back/forth very quickly. I just let go of the steering wheel and the car has "righted" itself automatically. I've replaced all four tires, the shocks and had the front end aligned twice.

I live in Oak Park near Thousand Oaks and I'm looking for a good repair shop to take it to. There are several negative comments on Kemp Ford in Thousand Oaks in a couple of these groups.

Appreciate any help.

Sue

Reply to
Sue in Oak Park

sounds like a steering sensor

Reply to
brian70

I'm thinking, worn out "Pitman arms" one is connected to the steering box and the other is bolted to the frame on the passenger side. connected to and between these two "arms" is the draglink/tierods which connect to the wheels. The pitman arm on the passenger side gets worn out at the mounting and your truck will steer like a drunken pig. That "knocking" you hear is most likely coming from the pitman/steering arm where it bolts to the draglink. It may be so loose that it's allowing the two parts to come together. I had an old Ford Bronco that acted the same as you discribed. I took my Bronco to a four-wheel drive store and they repaced the pitman arms and tierods and adjusted alignment for about $250 parts/labor (5years ago) Don't take your car to a dealer once it's out of warranty, your just asking for trouble!! Find a good four-wheel drive shop/store use Google or YellowPages

HTH, Rick

Reply to
thetoolman