99 Galant with warped rotors

So, I need to replace my rotors with ones that won't warp. Looking for suggestions and where I can order them online.

Thanks! Doug

Remove "REMOVE" from my email address if responding directly

Reply to
Doug

Rotors warp over the years from being machined beyond their legal thickness, some due to heavy feet, go back thru your car history and look for the thickest set you can buy that is compatiable with your car, i own a 1986 magna, the 1991 magna had slightly thicker rotors and are legal to use in this country ( australia ) tho i would go for over machining as the years past.

Peter

Reply to
Raven

Just about every case of warped roters that I've seen was the result of improperly and unevenly torqued lug nuts. Most of the air wrenches used by folks in the auto service biz are not your friends. Whenever I have my car serviced for something that requires wheel removal, I always loosen & re-torque the lug nuts to factory specs (found in any cheap service manual) with a torque wrench when I get home (car jacked up). If you do this, your warped rotor days will be over!

Also, any rotor will warp if the lug nuts aren't right! No magic rotors out there.

Geary Morton

Reply to
Geary Morton

Both of the previous posters have missed the mark here. The problem with the warping rotors is with Mitsu's single piston brake. DSM (Talon/Eclipse/Laser) people replace the front brakeset with the two piston unit and it's larger rotor. The two piston brake AKA "Big Brakes" was stock on the 3000 SL and '92 and up AWD cars.

simpleton

I understand the reason you loosen the lug nuts before re-torquing, but why do you jack up the vehicle? This seems to be inefficient and unnecessary. BTW, I too re-torque after any tire rotation or work after a wheel removal. It does seem to help, but in and of itself, will not ensure that there will be no rotor warpage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Because the lug nuts seat into a tapered hole (steel wheels) or have a significant shoulder (alloys), the weight of the car tends to push outwards against the nuts or rub against the shoulder, throwing the torque reading off. If the car is not level (side to side), that can throw it off, too (camber pressure). I know I'm sounding a little picky here, but the object is to get all the nuts as equally and correctly torqued as possible.

Driving habits can also exaserbate warping. If you have a long, hard stop from highway speed, then sit on the brake pedal, say at a stoplight, you will concentrate major heat to a very small portion of the rotor. In this situation it's best to let the car creep a little to spread the heat around, rather than cook the one small area. I personally have no trouble remembering to do this. Getting the wife to is another story!

Hey, I'm no expert here - just telling you what has worked best for me. I learned my lesson a few years back when my Eclipse went in for its first new set of tires. Within a month my rotors were trashed - all 4 of them! I discovered that about half of the lug nuts were way too tight. I bought cheap aftermarket rotors from Advance Auto, started torqueing the nuts, and 50K miles later braking is still smooth. I've also read many other stories confirming the importance of equal torque on wheel nuts where disk brakes are concened.

Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

Thanks for all the input on this. I think I did hear somewhere before about making sure the lugs are torqued to spec. I'll also have to be careful about braking habits.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the front rotors, but two questions:

Any particular rotor manufacturer I should look for? Any favorites? Someone mentioned to me something about cheap rotors from Mexico being a problem. Not sure.

What is the torque setting for the lugs?

Can I get a torque wrench for this at any auto parts store?

Thank you again! Doug

Reply to
Doug