'87 s10 FI won't flash

Got a 4-cyl, '87 S-10, at, ps, ac, plenty of miles. On way home it acted as if running out of gas, cut off, & hasn't started since. Can pour gas in TB, & it'll "run" in a sort 'til gas expires. Connected "noid" lite on FI-connector, spun over, and no flash--only constant light, so fire is getting to FI--also, blue-wire-side of FI connector is hot when other side(red wire) is hot, so looks like current is flowing thru FI. No codes w/diag. machine. Replaced dist. module, fuel injector, computer (via Advance AP, who put old 'chip' in new comp.), TPS, fuel filter, more. Fuel pressure reads 10psi. Any ideas, advice appreciated. Already spent too much time for profit, but curiosity looms large to those of us who've had our heads under the hoods too long! TIA, sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

Distributor pickup.

Reply to
saeengineer

Distributor pickup.

Hi, saeengineer. Does this distributor have a pickup coil in it similar to the older 75-79 v-8 's?

[...]

flash--only

If I recall correctly, it's the same. If the pickup is bad, you'll also have no spark. No spark and no fuel is very likely the pickup (or it's harness). I'll try to remember to look it up tomorrow at work (It's kind of hectic now, I'm teaching 3 new classes next week and I'm trying to get the lab ready).

Reply to
saeengineer

If I recall correctly, it's the same. If the pickup is bad, you'll also have no spark. No spark and no fuel is very likely the pickup (or it's harness). I'll try to remember to look it up tomorrow at work (It's kind of hectic now, I'm teaching 3 new classes next week and I'm trying to get the lab ready). Thanks, my friend. But the spark is fine at the plugs--just no 'switching' at the fuel injector. Good luck with your lab, as I'm sure that's what so many students really enjoy. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

take a timing light and see if your getting some light off any wires while you crank the motor over( have someone do that, while you look at the timing light)

If you do have spark.

Let someone crank the engine over, while you look at the injector. see if it is squirting fuel into the throttle body.

Cuz you said it runs when you put gas into the throttle body.

You may have a bad injector, or your regulator in the throttle body is dirty. some of those like to run at 12psi i believe. Or your fuel pump is getting weak.

Reply to
Erik

That's different :)

OK, spark but no fuel means the injector, it's harness or the ECM is bad. Check for continunity between the injector ground wire and the ECM driver (if you disconnect the injector and turn the key on, this will be the wire that is NOT hot). If you have continunity, try BRIEFLY applying 12V to the injector hot terminal and grounding the other terminal. If you get a spray of fuel from the injector, the ECM is bad, if not, the injector is bad.

Reply to
saeengineer