'87 Tercel, no pilot bearing?

I am replacing the clutch on an '87 Tercel sedan with a 1.5 liter 4 cyl and

5 speed manual transmission. The car was purchased new and this is the first time the trans has been out of it. Before beginning, I ordered in a new clutch kit consisting of the friction disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. The kit comes with two pilot bearings and one pilot bushing so that it can fit a variety of applications.

I was a little surprised when I removed the tranny and found no pilot bearing in the crank at all and no journal extending past the splines on the trans input shaft that would ride in it. This car has always had smooth clutch operation with no shuddering, vibration, etc. I was just curious as to how common this missing pilot is?

Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

In general, it is common for transaxle designs to dispense with the pilot support, as the shaft is supported nearby behind the release snout. The multiple parts you received are probably for non-Toyota applications that use the same clutch plate and pressure plate, but that's just a guess. Maybe it's easier for them to throw several in there rather than pay for the correct part to be selected for each application. If there is no pilot tip on your input shaft, as with the Tercel transaxles, then there can be no bearing in the crank or (flywheel).

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks for the information, Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson