88 Accord steering boot rips then leaks.

A friend's power steering right boot rips then begins to loose fluid really fast weeks later. I flush with genuine fluids but still leaks. I can replace the boot. Did the dirt damage the seals? What are some ways I can do to reduce the leaks.

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

You must repair the leak before the boot is replaced. It may have been the leak (and pressure) that ruined the boot in the first place.

Professor

Professor

You "replace" the steering rack! There is no point in replacing the boot without fixing the leak, and attempting to replace the seal in a steering rack is not something you want to tackle.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The end result of flushing without fixing the leak is that your friends car will leak new rather than old fluid all over the driveway. The seal will have to be replaced, which as others have aid translates into a complete replcement of the rack.

Reply to
John S.

"shiden_kai" wrote

Hi Shiden, Steering rack is $751 without labor. The car only values at $400. I'd replace the end seals on my own car posted here

I won't attempt this on my friends carwithout good reason because the work was a pain in the neck. Ilike to find a quick fix on my friends car. Check out the link ifanyone would like to attempt one of the most painful work. Muchworse than a timing belt replacement.

Reply to
Sam Nickaby