Grease spot on new brake pad

A friend was helping me with my front disc brakes when he accidently dropped one of the pads on the ground (short fall onto dirt driveway). Unfortunately, he quickly picked it up without being very careful about where he put his fingers. As a result, there's one-third to one-half of a greasy fingerprint on the outer edge of the pad.

Is the pad ruined, or can I clean it off? There's probably not much grease on the pad, but it's easy to see where it is because the pad color is darker there. Initially I thought I'd just spray the pad with some brake cleaner to wash off the grease, but then it occurred to me that the grease might dissolve and end up being absorbed by the pad. An alternative method, which seems like a better idea, is to wet a clean rag or paper towel with brake cleaner and then use it to carefully wipe off the grease. Then, after wiping off the vast majority of the grease with the rag, I'll spray the pad with a little brake cleaner to finish up the job.

Will that work, or is there a better way to clean the grease off?

Phil

Reply to
pcalvert

wrote

We're not dealing with sterile hospital operating rooms here. Just give it a good blast, wipe it off if you want, and install.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Wipe with a solvent such as lacquer thinner.

Professor

Professor

Why not use a chlorinated hydrocarbon based brake-kleen type spray?

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

That's certainly fine also. Many solvents will work in this case...

Professor

Professor

Wipe it off with a clean towel, throw it on, you'll be fine. Considering all the crap that exposed pads are exposed to in day to day driving, one slightly greasy smudge won't make a difference at all.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

JazzMan's right!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I figured that I was probably being too picky/careful, but wanted to get some other opinions.

Phil

Reply to
pcalvert