'89 Ford Fiesta Losing Power

Hi.

If I could pick your brains a moment with this problem I would appreciate any help offered.

When I drive up hills occasionally, unless the revs are really high, the engine loses power and it doesn't matter what I do the engine will eventually (and gradually) cut out. The engine will then sometimes refuse to start without a lot of cranking. This is very embarrassing.

It seems that when ever I call for a lot of power the engine simply gives up. If I ease off the accelerator I can sometimes prevent the engine from stalling but this isn't always practical - especially when I have many cars driving behind me.

I have changed the air filter and the spark plugs but the problem comes back. I've checked the distributor and it all seems clean and without cracks.

My engine knowledge is minimal although growing every time I try another idea. So, does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan

sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me.

I have a homepage

may be ordinary but it's better than nothing.

Reply to
Jim Vatunz

I agree.. Is there one in the fuel tank on this elephant?

Reply to
HLS

We've thought about checking the fuel filter but neither of us can find it. We assume it is near the fuel tank. I'm going to have to ask my mechanic friends to find it for me before I do anything else.

Thanks for your help. I'm now gonna check your webpage.

Reply to
Nathan

the fuel filtre is in the engine compartment on the firewall low on the driver's side, a clear plastic thing. it's a long reach down there.

if repalcing the filter doesn't help you might want to check the mechanical fuel pump on the right rear of the engine block at teh top, just below the valve cover. they are known to be a problem. I had to replace mine. I think if it leaks you should smell gas in the oil filler cap. I mine was leaking around at the gasket.

you might want to buy a Haynes repair manual if you intend to keep the car. I've got lots of use from mine. you can also look at

and at the festiva newsgroup on yahoo!.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt