e4od easy fix?

Hello

I have a 1997 ford e350 7.3 power stroke diesel with the e4od. It does rough shifts at 2-3 and other places. It has one of those tranny over temperature codes and the shop wants to put a new solenoid. They want $400.

However, I could buy the part for about $100 and do it myself.

Are there any other settings that need to be adjusted? He did say something about the passenger seat?

thanks

Reply to
mike

IIRC, the E4OD goes into a program mode when it senses that it is overheated. In this mode it will shift hard and quick to minimized slippage - there is no modulation of the clutch engagement as it shifts. I think it may also lock the torque converter to reduce heat from there which will also increase the perception of a hard shift. If the trans is overheating, a new solenoid pack will not fix it's problem. You need to get it cooled down. That said, it may be overheating because it is slipping which should also set a fault code. It sounds like you need a second opinion from someone well versed in the E4OD. A Ford dealer should have hte correct diagnostic equipment to analyze your trans and it may be well worth the 1 hr charge for a correct diagnosis. Keep in mind that not all Ford dealers are very good with the E4OD but, even fewer independants can tackle it. If nothing else, take a look around for someone or a company who operates several trucks with them for a recommendation in your area. Utility companies are sometimes operators of several that run high miles and need service.

Reply to
lugnut

You might want to check with the local ambulance services since they operate with these transmissions and usually end up having more problems than most due to the type of service. Also in 1997 these were E4ODE's not E40D's.

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561