92 laser motor mount hours?

question for a co-worker - 92 laser, needs motor mounts.

The dealership that was going to do it closed. She's too chicken to call around... for whatever reason... and I'm the office car guy, so she asked me how much I'd charge if I did it on the side.

I told her I don't fix stuff on the side (I can barely keep my fleet of junk running) and it's all in the flat rate bible.

So... if anyone can just let me know how many hours for motor mounts on a 92 Laser (non turbo, with Auto, AC, fwd.)

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray

I had a manual '86 Laser, and it took me about two hours to do the mounts, though I am no mechanic. Somebody that actually knows what he is doing can probably do it in less time.

Incidentally, ALL of the third-party replacements tore up very quickly on that car. I _had_ to go to dealer parts on the engine mounts to keep them reliable.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks, except that's a different car. :) You're talking the K-Car based platform. I meant the Laser/Eagle Talon Diamond Star platform.

Reply to
Ray

Both engine options show the same on my info. There are 4 "real" mounts that are each listed as approx. 1 hr each, then an anti-roll strut for 0.8 hr. I wouldn't dream of charging the combined total on a complete mount replacement for this car, but my source doesn't show any combo times, so it is really in the hands of the shop as to what to charge. 4.8 hours would be a ripoff if that helps any.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Kinda hard to call combo times on mounts isn't it? The only savings would be you don't have to position the jack 'maybe' to do two or more of them, but I have always had to re-setup for the other mounts on most engines I have changed them on. Basically the only savings was the jack was already under the engine....

Just my $0.02,

Mike

Mike Romain

ok, thanks. I'm not doing it, just passing it along so she can find a new shop and have a rough idea of the cost. (The original dealership was supposed to do it when the parts came in yet they closed up shop like that - they're being sued over it.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Kinda hard to get everyone to use the same time when there is no universally accepted listing, that's all. I know that replacing all of them is much easier than doing 4 or 5 individually; I know that charging someone 5 hours for that job would send them down the street; I know that there are more factors involved for a shop re: combining labor times than most DIYers could ever imagine; hence my comments.

Toyota MDT in MO

The only savings

Canadian, I'm assuming? :-)

Reply to