94 Civic died but then restarted

Our schoolteacher daughter called from school this morning. Her 94 Civic EX (1.6L) had died at a stop sign on the way to school. At first it would not start again, but after a few minutes it did and she drove on to school. According to her it sounded like there was "an animal running around under the hood," and some "metallic sounds." (These are her words, and she is not an automotive person.)

She said there were no warning lights or other indications from inside the car. She looked under the hood and did not see anything abnormal. At lunch time she will go out to the car and get more info.

Any thoughts on what this *might* be? What should she check at lunch time? It will be a day or two before "Dad" can come to the rescue, and I need to maintain my reputation as the guy who can fix anything.

Already stumped,

Craig

Reply to
Williams

I've come across this myself with my '92 Integra. In my case it turned out to be the EFI Main Relay. Apparently the solder cracks and separates when hot, but reconnects again when cool.

Google for these terms exactly as you see then here: honda "main relay"

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Good idea, and in fact she has had that problem occasionally in the summer (starting the vehicle in hot conditions). The thump on the side of the dash trick has always worked. But today was a cool morning, and the car was already running.

Update: A guy at school "who knows something about cars" listened to the car and said it sounds like the timing belt might be fraying. Maybe it jumped a tooth/gear?

Craig

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

Reply to
cwilly8