94 suburban real axle rebuild by eye

I blew and have to rebuild my rear end, First time i did it, I replaced the pinion and ring gear, over tightend the pinion and blew a bearing. Second time rebiult it,new bearings no damage to gears, put it back together by eye with factory shims (good place to start) now when i drive when i have pressure on the gears (keep foot on gas a little) i have no noise, when i take foot off gas and slow down i get a whine still as well as if i take a right hand turn i get a whine. If i keep slight pressure on the gas peddle while i slow down or take a turn I have no noise. Mind you im in maine and working under my truck in the -10 driveway. It sucks. without a dial indicator this sound like i may need to shim a tiny bit to the right(looking from rear of truck) to lighn up gears better. Any thoughts would be great. Also will this be ok for a couple months the way it is? Untill it warms up. I don't care if i have to replace the pinoin and ring gear again if it will last a few months like it is. Right now Im driving it with 2 feet, keeping pressure on the gears to make no noise. Thanks David

Reply to
rentahandyman

It should be OK. When you do it again, go to the yard and get a rear or, do it the right way!

Reply to
thenitedude

Without a dial indicator, you are either going to get lucky or not.

Not lucky is the common outcome.

Get a whole rear end out of something compatible or try to get by for now until conditions improve. From what you describe now, I would run it and hope for the best for another couple of months (from a Michigan resident).

You can't measure it right at -10f anyway...

Al

Reply to
Anumber1

It sounds like it will make it till spring. Don't even see any advantage of holding the throttle open to lessen the noise. Let it whine. It may even get louder. As far as shade tree rear end rebuilds go, I've done a few. I get the paint that they sell for applying to the gears and with the unit open and no oil on the gears apply a small amount to several parts of the ring gear. Put paint on both sides of the gear teeth. Rock gears back and forth distributing paint so you can see the gear contact pattern. There are published photos of what the pattern should look like. Try looking in an old Motors Manual. This operation is usually mentioned in directions, to do what you are doing, as the last part of the operation, just as a check to see if the measuring phase was done correctly. However it can be used with out the measuring if you learn to "read" the patterns you get.

Reply to
disston