Bad junk in gas lately.

OK, I have seen this a few times lately to the point of one carb totally dissolved internally and wonder if anyone knows what's up.

I am finding sand or salt shaped crystals inside the float bowls. These crystals are caustic enough to actually eat the carb up. They just peeled a layer off one of my float bowls and started etching the other.

This is a first for my carb, but I normally do a kit sooner. My engine was also sitting with just the odd start now and then for 8 months as was the one with the totally eaten carb, it was sitting longer even.

Just curious if anyone has seen anything like that or not.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

The old Golf diesel we had many years ago suddenly started having problems one winter. The fuel filter contained a lot of water and sand, and I thought we had gotten a bad tank of fuel. Turned out to be the filler tube that was rusted through on the top side, so when my wife drove through puddles, the water and sand would spray right into the tank :-(

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

It could be the other way around. Perhaps the xtals are an aluminum precipitate due to moisture in the carb. Water + aluminum = aluminum oxide and aluminum hydroxide.

Reply to
Paul