Upshifting without clutch.

My son is a truck driver. During a recent visit he showed me how to upshift my '01 911 without using the clutch. He would get up to normal shift rpms,
back off the gas a little, slide the shifter into neutral, then the next higher gear. This worked with no grind, jerk or other obvious problem.
Is this wise? It obviously saves on clutch wear, but I worry about whatever else may be happening in the transmission.
Mike

it is better to use the clutch, otherwise ,the gearbox and the Clutch film should be Damaged,
Mike Morgan wrote:

If you can do it consistently without grinding and don't feel the synchros working it won't hurt anything. You have to keep an eye on your RPM's and speed. Truck diesel motors decelerate slower than gas motors and are easier to synchronize. Gas motors decelerate rather quickly, so you have less time to shift at the right time without using the clutch.

Site Timeline