96 Geo Metro 1.0 L ECM?

I picked up a very nice and clean 3cyl. Geo in an impound yard. It is a 96 5 spd.

It had been partially stripped of it's starter, alternator and ECM.

The ECM designation number has been difficult to find since most of the 96 GEOs are 4 cyl 1.3L engines or Automatic.

Most of the info I am able to find regarding these ECMs has come from the eBay listings which frequently list the models that can use a particular ECM.

I have compiled a list of ECM designations/models, however the 96, 1L, MT, CA/FED information seems a bit confused. The E7 seems to be the closest but the label on the case indicates it is for the 1.3L 4 cyl. engine.

Does anyone have this information?? I would sure appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Steve ======================================================================================= GEO METRO ECM designations

A1 unknown

A2 95 1.0 MT (Fed)

A3 89----> 91 1.0 MT (Fed)

E3 91----> 92 1.0 MT (Fed)

A4 89----> 91 1.0 AT (CA?)

A5 95 1.3 not desinated

K5 ??----> 94 1.0 MT (Canada?)

K6 92----> 94 1.0 AT (Canada?)

E7 92----> 93 1.0 MT (Fed) Convert.?? (I also found an E7 in a 97 1.3 MT FED)

E8 97 1.3 AT (Fed) LSI

MT = manual transmission

AT = Automatic Transmission

Fed = Federal Emissions

CA = California Emissions

If no AT or MT is listed then the part is the same for both auto and manual transmissions and if Fed or CA is

not listed then it work for both applications also.

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote in news:d-udnRhNJMZIAofYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

Why wouldn't you simply call a GM dealer and ask them to check to see what ECM part number is associated with your VIN?

What are the first three digits of your VIN?

Reply to
TeGGeR®
2C1 is the first 3 digits of the VIN.

I did call the dealer on another GEO and they gave me a part number from which I couldn't cross to the "Letter/Number" ECM designation.

They were very "dismissive" when I mentioned a 10-15 y/o Geo. Not really a money maker care since they have run for ever and never return for service. (my opinion of their attitude.).

However, at your recommendation, I will give it a try, again.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote in news:o-KdnQCJI8KhLofYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

Are you sure that's a "C"? I think it ought to be a "G". Check again.

The "2" indicates your car was built in Canada, probably at the CAMI plant in Ingersoll Ontario, although CAMI does not list your model on its Web site.

Try a different dealer. The guys at this one might just be lazy.

If you give them the CORRECT VIN number, there should be no problem at all locating the right ECM part number.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I just verified that the1st 3 of the VIN, is 2C1.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You're correct about the CAMI plant, and Steve has his VIN right as well. The Metro is an odd duck GM/Suzuki product for the US sale models. The Canadian sold models were made in Japan (go figure).

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Open the hood and look at the emissions tag. That will tell you if you need a federal or California ECM.

Go over to carpart.com and punch in what you want. It will show you places that have the ECM on hand. A quick search in the Northeast showed

8 running from 75 - 125.00.

As far as which one you need. The coding changes for each year so looking at Ebay isn't going to help any.

Keep in mind as well that the Metro is actually a Suzuki Swift sold by GM under the Geo badge.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.