96 Sebring 2.5 V6 Timing Belt

I've finally gotten all the little bugs worked out of my "new to me" '96 Sebring convertible.

The last thing on my list is the timing belt. The car has 120k on it and I'm assuming the original timing belt that should have been changed at 105k.

How big of a job is this going to be? What are the book hours?

I know this is an interference engine but I don't know how close they tend to run on belt life expectancy. I would love to drive the car this weekend for our travels but I'm a little afraid I might kill it with a belt.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

105k to replace a TB??? I think around 60,000 miles is when it should be changed. don't let that belt break I believe you have an interference motor.
Reply to
m6onz5a

assuming you have the 2.5 V6 it's about 3 hours labor.

Reply to
m6onz5a

hmm upon further checking 105k is the recommended (not required) mileage for a TB replacement on that car.. Seems like a lot of mileage for a TB but if they say 100k then 100k it is.. You should be fine

Reply to
m6onz5a

I have seen the "recommended" part a few places too. I don't understand that though. Why recommended and not required? If not required at 105k when is it required? Almost seem like a typo in the gates book that has been propagated.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Maybe they want the belt to break so they can charge you more $ since it's an interference motor. Don't chance it and just get it replaced.

Maybe you can take a peek at it and see if it's beginning to fray/dry rot etc?

Reply to
m6onz5a