removing a bendix spring from starter

I have a with an external remote solenoid which I need to remove the Bendix Assembly from. The Bendix assembly is not moving freely and I suspect heavy rust under the clutch mechanism. How on earth does the Bendix come off?

Reply to
ed

Umm, they are the first thing put in basically. You have to start at the other end and work your way to them. You might want to get some new brushes to put in while you are in there. They are about $15.00.

I use WD40 to clean the junk out of starters, but that is for mud in the brushes and bushings. I don't know if it would touch a rusty bendix. I would use a good penetrating oil on it or maybe soak the nose of the starter in kerosene or something.

Mike

Mike Romain

oops left the word STARTER out of my first post. thanks.

yeah I got it all stripped down as originally the bendix/clutch deal wasnt coming out. I got it to come out but now will not go back in and it feels like its mechanically latched or something. Taking it apart and cleaning everything off is my intention before going to the extreme of replacing it. Its an early 70's vintage starter.

Reply to
ed