97 Voyager Problems

I have a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager and it is starting to show it's age with a few annoying problems. I'm hoping someone might be able to help (the dealer wants $170 to diagnose and I'm not much of a mechanic

- at least not yet).

Problem 1: When low on fuel (less than 1/8 tank) and parked on a downward slope it won't start, just cranks. Once I roll it to a level surface it will eventually start. Is this a fuel pump problem?

Problem 2: Every once in awhile the wiper will turn on for a single swipe. We have a a friend who had a Caravan with the same problem.

Problem 3: In the past when the air conditioner was on you would hear a sound that can be best described as a pssshhhhht... (I compare it to a the sound of water running through a copper pipe) but assume it is some sort of pressure change in the system. We are now hearing this noise even when the air conditioner isn't/hasn't been on. My wife thinks there has been more condensation fluid under the van than in the past, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Reply to
John

Approximately 10/27/03 11:35, John uttered for posterity:

A fuel pump problem would be more likely to show up at any tank depth. This could be as trivial as the gas guage being a bit inaccurate. How does the 1/8th of a tank relate to the number of gallons it takes to fill at that point?

Another cause could simply be water and or other crud built up in the bottom of the tank so the pickup can't get anything when low. You might want to try a few bottles of water remover, but can also simply get used to running with a full tank.

Pulling the tank is a PITA.

You can usually hear the air conditioner compressor and evaporator running. It could be as simple as that the heater is set to defrost, which on most vehicles also turns on the A/C [and the heater at the same time] for better defog.

Less likely would be a defective control turning on the A/C all the time, you should be able to notice this in the temperature.

My governor can kick your governor's ass

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You should post this to the new minivan group where they solve the very few minor problems that occur on those wonderkind vehicles.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

There is a recall on item #2. My 1997 Caravan did this also after about a year.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Can you tell us where to look for recalls. i have a 97 caravan. Thanks William from Vancouver

I have a 97 caravan now and am a bit worried now that it might be trouble... I have had stalling problems and high hydrocarbons at idle with my other two chryslers. One is my daughters and one I am selling. I am not a collector. I figure..You dont own your possesions...your possesions own you... and the less i have the better ,,,not including cash of course LOL.

Reply to
William

I forgot about this site until you requested a link. It has recalls and tech bulletins. I think I have found a bulletin referring to my transmission problem that I posted about yesterday. Now if I could find out what the repair procedure is, I'd be set.

<johnb1967