98n camry 4 cyl-problems with oil consumption 135k mi

took car to dealer and got new piston rings, valve seals and an engine cleaning. thought this would correct oil consumption (1qt loss

1500mi). It didn't, the car leaking oil at the same rate. checked pcv and found nothing. car does not leak any oil in driveway overnight. the mechanic said it could be a cracked head. how would you be able to tell what was cracked (head or block) and if one of these is cracked is the car junk? it is a good thing i didn't give up alcohol this week. thanks in advance.
Reply to
humblejohn

A quart in 1500 miles is considered normal, even for a new engine.

Reply to
JimV

Sure isn't considered normal to me. Of the 8 cars I've maintained and the 4 that I still do, none of them consume a noticeable amount of oil between oil changes.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Manufacturers state it as "normal." This is to limit their liability. But if 1qt every 1500 miles is the extent of your consumption, don't worry about it. Oil is still cheap to add one quart every 1500 miles.

Reply to
hyundaitech

That oil consumption is pretty high for a new car - GM's minimum oil consumption to warrant repair under warranty is 1 quart every 2000 miles..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

My 91 camry 4cyl with 146,000 miles has no noticeable oil consumption at all. It gets changed every 3,500 miles and I have never even come close to having to add a quart of oil.

Reply to
Blue