99 buick regal short to ecm fuse

I have a friend that had a bad battery so he used a charger on 200 amp boost to start it. He put in a new battery but now has some wierd problems. The speedometer and temp gauge do not work, warning lights stay on in the dash, and the headlamp chime stays going with the lights on with the engine running. It still runs fine. It blows an ecm fuse every time you plug in a new one. I have looked all over for any melted or shorted wires. Has anyone had a similar problem and might know where to look for a short? Thanks, JP

Reply to
JP

A common problem when you have severe electrical problems and/or improper jump starting causing the ECM/PCM fuse to blow is damaged wiring at the engine compartment fuse box to the PCM module itself. Check the condition of the orange and red wires (PCM sense + 12 volts) from the PCM module connectors back to the battery and fuse box. You will need to remove the plastic covering on the wiring harness. Also, check all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box and the one located at the passenger side of the dash. The PCM module is located in the airbox assembly.

Reply to
bnaylor

Thanks for the advice, I will check that stuff out tomorrow sometime in the daylight. When I figure it out I'll post back. If I figure it out lol. I just hope it isn't shorted in the dash somewhere. I hate pulling dashes. JP

Reply to
JP