2000 SE electrical failure

My 2000 focus has had few problems thus far, but yesterday, after sitting for about 6-7 hours, it wouldn't start. I first thought it was a battery problem. I had someone give me a jumpstart and I drove it for about 20 miles. During this ride, the radio would cut off and right back on everytime I used a turn signal or cut the A/C on or off. When I arrived at home, I turned the engine off and tried to restart. The car would not restart and hasn't 24 hours later, even when trying to jumpstart. I still get the door chime and interior light until I turn the key, then the whole dash goes crazy, there's clicking under the steering column and then the interior light and chime stop until I remove the key and they start again. When I try, unsucessfully to lock or un-lock the doors using the key fob the dash starts clicking and buzzing.

Hopefully, someone knows a thing or two about this and can help me out. Thanks!

Reply to
Catfish

The first thing I would do is do a voltage check on the battery. If it has a weak cell and the voltage is low then you can get weird fluctuations like this. If you don't have a voltmeter then an easy way to check is to borrow a good battery and see what happens.

Reply to
Dave Gower

There has been a recall on the fuel pump also. That could be the cause.

-Dave-

Reply to
dave

I would bet the battery. My 2000 Focus had the battery go dead, (and I mean DEAD), sitting in the driveway. No warning, no slower cranking. Just wouldn't start one day without a heavy duty charger with the "boost" setting. As soon as we took it off the charger, all would go dead. The speedometer would jump from zero to about 90mph then fall back to zero and no display on the digital odometer..

New battery fixed it right up

Reply to
David P. Coleman