A customer called today asking for Diesel Exhaust Fluid today

I told him we keep it right next to the muffler bearings. He says no it's a new product for diesls to keep N0x emissions down. Sure enough it's for the newer diesels..

m6onz5a

Looks like it's urea. It's been around for a while. IIRC, the 50-state Mercedes and BMW diesels have used it for several years. Now that the big trucks have to meet standards it's going more main-stream.

Reply to
MM

Um...BMW...

They actually HAVE a "muffler bearing", but it's not a ball bearing, it's like the bearings for the crank...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

It's urea. All the truckstops carry it. It's probably a good idea.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The company that I work for sold about 300,000 gallons of DEF last month in the USA. We expect to double our sales every year for the next five years.

To put this into perspective, my company sold about 300 million gallons of fuel last month in the USA.

Nationwide, both numbers are a drop in the bucket.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

My 1980 Pontiac Phoenix (X-car) had a muffler bearing too, not like either of the above.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

We now carry it.. After doing some research I found out my company stocks the stuff.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I realize this is off topic, but don't let the Rapture gitcha. cuhulin, Raptures R US

Reply to
cuhulin

Apparently doomsday has been postponed on account of rain.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Wasn't raining here. My town is just Pure Evil...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

We see that a lot of people have questions about DEF, and are helping to answer them. If there are other DEF questions, or extra information needed, I'm happy to answer any questions on this topic.

Reply to
Karen_A_Smith

ok, here's a question: what exactly is "high spec urea solution".

Reply to
jim beam

Good question! DEF is a high spec urea solution which means that it is made from high purity urea and demineralised water. The specification is defined in an internationally recognized ISO standard, which means that there are strict limits for acceptable levels of potential impurities, and accurate concentration of the DEF solution. If it?s not within this specification, it is not DEF. The reason for it being of a specific high standard is due to it being injected through the SCR system. If low grade urea and tap water is used it could cause SCR catalyst deactivation, and system breakdown.

Reply to
Karen_A_Smith