Accelerator pump (carburetor) question

Trying to revive an old leather(?) pump. In the old days the instructions told you to soak in kerosene for 10 to 15 minutes. Don't want to pay $10 f or a gallon of kerosene at ACE. Only need about an ounce. Is there an alt ernative? Can I use transmission fluid, gasoline, oils, anything else arou nd the house?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

s told you to soak in kerosene for 10 to 15 minutes. Don't want to pay $10 for a gallon of kerosene at ACE. Only need about an ounce. Is there an a lternative? Can I use transmission fluid, gasoline, oils, anything else ar ound the house?

Any oil will probably work, but if it is a real leather pump seal, neatsfoo t oil (go to your local Red Wing store, or order online) is probably the be st that I've found for this use.

However, that may be more expensive than a gallon of kerosene.

If you have a can, Diesel fuel is essentially kerosene, although I probably wouldn't try to burn it in a heater etc. except in an emergency. To be mo re specific, kero is the same as #1 Diesel (generally used only in winter, #2 is most commonly used as a fuel most of the time) and JP8.

nate

Reply to
N8N

ons told you to soak in kerosene for 10 to 15 minutes. Don't want to pay $

10 for a gallon of kerosene at ACE. Only need about an ounce. Is there an alternative? Can I use transmission fluid, gasoline, oils, anything else around the house?

oot oil (go to your local Red Wing store, or order online) is probably the best that I've found for this use.

ly wouldn't try to burn it in a heater etc. except in an emergency. To be more specific, kero is the same as #1 Diesel (generally used only in winter , #2 is most commonly used as a fuel most of the time) and JP8.

Thanks Nate !! I do have some diesel on hand. Will use. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

tions told you to soak in kerosene for 10 to 15 minutes. Don't want to pay $10 for a gallon of kerosene at ACE. Only need about an ounce. Is there an alternative? Can I use transmission fluid, gasoline, oils, anything els e around the house?

sfoot oil (go to your local Red Wing store, or order online) is probably th e best that I've found for this use.

ably wouldn't try to burn it in a heater etc. except in an emergency. To b e more specific, kero is the same as #1 Diesel (generally used only in wint er, #2 is most commonly used as a fuel most of the time) and JP8.

There is a product for reviving leather seats in old vintage cars. Auto par ts stores might have something like that.

Reply to
JR

An animal fat based product such as Lexol or neatsfoot oil.

AMuzi