How good are stretch boots? (CV, steering)

How good are those CV boots that can be installed without removing the axle from the vehicle because the rubber is so stretchy that even the small end of the boot can be stretched over the CV joint? The boot is installed with either a stretcher or by slipping it over a long cone that's lubed up.

There are also steering rack boots that stretch over the tie rod ends, but I don't see the advantage of them because the end still has to be separated from the steering knuckle. OTOH do they last longer than boots made of regular neoprene rubber?

Reply to
larrymoencurly

I've used a split boot to do a temporary repair that has lasted most of 10 years. The split boots don't have a good rep so I check it each time I change the oil. So far so good.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Boots in general don't have a good reputation and probably ought to be checked on every oil change. I have also used the split boots on my wife's subaru and so far it's outlasted the original.

My feeling was that once the boot is damaged, the joint is probably bad, and that cleaning it and putting a new boot on was just a temporary measure. But so far it's been 80,000 miles of temporary measure.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey