Why aren't car battery cases clear?

Or at least translucent enough so you can see the water level without removing the caps?

I remembered those semi-sealed Delcos being made of white plastic that you could shine a flashlight through to see the water level, but then Delco switched to an opaque white plastic. BTW with the translucent ones I never saw the water level go low, and I'm in Phoenix, although I never had an alternator put out excessive voltage.

On batteries with removable caps, I don't like taking them off because dirt that accumulates around the caps can get into the battery, especially when the caps are below the top of the battery (some Johnson Controls batteries).

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Just guessing, but I think it something about light.

But aren't motorcycle batteries white/clear ?

Reply to
steve

More likely explanation: Opaque and/or black/dark plastic probably costs less to make than translucent/clear plastic.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Inkjet cartridges aren't clear, either.

Garden tractor batteries tend to be more clear, for some reason.

Reply to
nospam

Many European batteries are.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Wanna tell that to the HP cartridges that go in my printer? The ones that, once they're empty, are almost as clear as glass, other than the green top?

Same with motorcycle batteries. Go figure...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Because many batteries are sealed these days? Believe it was Delco in the early '70's who figured out how to use calcium instead of antimony as an alloying agent for the lead plate grids, thereby reducing woater loss to much less than even the low maintance low antimony batteries. The opaque plastics may also contain more fillers for higher strength, permitting them to be thinner walled therefor containing more active material for better performance in a given size. That may be a factor in batteries w/ removeable tops.

There is an interesting link from 1921 on automotive battery service & rebuilding on the web. I don't have the link at handd but a google search should turn it up. Interesting reading.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

The cartridges for my Canon BJC-8200 Photo is also clear.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

I remember back in the 1970's, SEARS Die Hard batteries were made from some kinda white plastic, where you could see the water level through the side of the case

Reply to
Mark Hoffman

wow! what model printer?

That makes refilling much easier.

Reply to
nospam

I suspect fashion more than any useful reason.

I would think around Phoenix you would lose some water just from the heat and the air being so dry.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Both the BCI-5 and the BCI-6 [newer version] cartridges are a light milky color, not clear. Can easily be seen thru but nothing like glass.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

The tops of batteries should be kept clean and dry because conductive paths from dried electrolyte can prematurely discharge the battery. Starting batteries will consume more water in hot climates than in cold climates; therefore, the electrolyte levels need to be checked more frequently.

I have not been able to determine why some battery manufacturers use translucent cases while others choose not to. One school of thought is that they will sell more batteries if consumer does not properly maintain the electrolyte levels and why make that easy.

For more information of preventative maintenance for lead-acid batteries, please read Section 3 in the CAR and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Reply to
Bill Darden