Acetone added to Gasoline

after postings on the subject made the rounds, what the general consensus did ya'll come to?

Is it a good idea, does it increase mileage, is it harmful to the fuel system, just what is the general consensus on it?

If it really works the government should mandate it's usage in consumer gasoline.

mho v=83e

double dog dare you, sound familiar? >to reduce your driving by =A0-=A0=A010%.
Reply to
fiveiron

It is a bad idea, does not increase mileage.

Reply to
<HLS

Absolutely not!

No.

Most likely. Worse than methanol.

Don't do it.

MTBE was bad enough, and was finally banned in many areas.

Before that it was TEL. Nasty stuff. Not found in "unleaded" fuels. Phesed out in the 70's.

Before that, we had Ethylene Dibromide. Corrosive crap. Never halogenate fuels or their additives. Increased emissions, too. Also banned.

Acetone??? Noooooooooooooooooooo! It's destructive to many polymers, especially elastomers.

Are you smoking catnip?

The light liquid paraffins (heptane, octane, nonane, decane, and undecane) burn fine, without a bunch of extra crap added.

Better yet, burn propane. It's dirtier than methane, but cheaper to store and deliver, and at least it's cleaner than gasoline.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

ANd I forgot to mention:

Propane has a (R+M)/2 rating of about 110. No additives needed (except for perhaps mercaptan based odorants).

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner / Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be added (a fraction of 1 % acetone to gas) the most that will happen is you get a clean fuel system. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss