Aftermarket radio for 99 Ford Ranger / Mazda B2500

Question: I'm looking to add an aftermarket in-dash radio to my 99 Mazda B2500 (cosmetically identical to 99 Ford Ranger), and can't find any straight answer as to what mounting my dash can handle. It appears that it can take a "double DIN" mounting radio, which is the standard size for the type of system I'm trying to add - combination radio/cassette/CD.

Can anyone clear up whether or not that is the case?

Reply to
owner

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:48:22 -0800, owner rearranged some electrons to form:

David M

Best Buy has all the install kits you need. You can put just about any radio you want in there.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

That's what I figured, and Best Buy also did my CB radio a while back. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't buying something that was just too damn BIG to go in there.

Reply to
owner

As a previous poster suggested go to

and choose the option for "what fits my car". They'll show you want the sizes are for the speakers and radio that you can fit in your car. Take that info, and go shopping.

Reply to
Mike H

Did that before I posted the message, Crutchfield only has one unit that is an AM/FM/CD/Cassette combo, and the reviews of it are pretty lousy. I poked around online, and there are numerous websites selling double DIN install kits for "Ford Ranger / Mazda B 1995+," so I think that answered it.

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
owner

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:00:53 -0800, owner rearranged some electrons to form:

Crutchfield will give you an installation kit at no charge to fit an ISO-DIN style unit in the space you have.

Reply to
David M

If you *really* need the cassette capability, I've got a takeout Subaru Double-DIN AM/FM/CD/Cassette unit that's not all that bad. It's free if you pay the shipping. I can find the pinouts for it online.

Post here if your posting address is valid, or post a munged version of your real address if interested.

Personally, I'd rip those cassettes to MP3 CD and go with a Kenwood DPX501 or 701 if you want to stay double din. Single DIN gives you a lot more choices and a storage pocket for your CDs.

Reply to
nobody >

Your truck DOES NOT take the double DIN, although with a bit of screwing around and the correct adaptor kit, you can make a double DIN fit.

Try this place:

I have a 97 Mazda B4000 that came with only AM/FM/cassette. I wanted a CD player -- they had an OEM AM/FM/CD that replaced the original one perfectly. Also, they will answer questions about wiring, etc. The radio I bought from them needed a wiring harness that they supplied.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

HMMM, I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with the single CD and I have a DOUBLE DIN. His is a 99 so it WILL have a double DIN. If you look at that page that you supplied the link to, it will be the head unit right next to the single CD head unit. The dashes were changed in 98 to the one in my 00 ranger, and they kept them till 01. They changed after that I believe.

Reply to
Ford Tech

When I bought my 1978 Dodge van in 1989,it didn't have a radio or even a hole for a radio antenna.I bought a cheap Audiovox AM/FM/Cassette player radio at a K-Mart store.The radio quit working about eight years ago.That's ok with me though because listening to a radio makes me nervous when I am driving anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin